Tuesday, October 21, 2014

DARK DUET: Platinum Edition Countdown - 21 October

Today is October 21st
until 

While we're waiting, here's a review of the Seduced in the Dark from one of my favorite bloggers ever! The incomparable "Jenny" from Totally Booked.

SEDUCED IN THE DARK (BOOK 2):
What is the price of redemption?

Rescued from sexual slavery by a mysterious Pakistani officer, Caleb carries the weight of a debt that must be paid in blood.

The road has been long and fraught with uncertainty, but for Caleb and Livvie, it’s all coming to an end.

Can he surrender the woman he loves for the sake of vengeance?

Or will he make the ultimate sacrifice?

Jenny's Review:
This was definitely one of the most gut-wrenchingly difficult, raw, brutal, thought provoking and emotional reads I have ever sat through. There were times I thought I couldn't go on and my resolve was sorely tested

My chest ached, my stomach was in knots and more than once I felt physically sick with the anticipation of what was about to happen.

Reading this book I felt that CJ must be one of the most talented writers I've ever read. How she crafted this story and brought it all together left me in total awe. She is a storyteller who certainly doesn't shy away from what she feels needs to be told, even if, at times, this makes the reader uncomfortable and takes them to a place they thought they could never go.

The reader is taken from the time Livvie is captured and from there she recounts how her predicament evolved and how Caleb and the others played a part in her story. It was nothing short of brilliant how this story was pieced together.

Caleb is still the broken "monster" we met in Captive in the Dark. He is hell-bent on his revenge and willing to sacrifice Livvie (Kitten) into slavery just to ensure his task is carried out.

I have to admit to having strong feelings for Caleb when reading Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet #1). I hated him because I loved him, when really I should have despised him. Nothing changes in this book. I was still questioning my sanity over my feelings for this man. How could I, after what he had done and was still prepared to do, feel so much love and compassion for him? What was it about this man that drew me to him? Oh trust me, there were times when I wanted to knife him through the heart. This man will test you, and he will test you BIG time, but his tender times with Livvie will hit you deep in your heart and it is at these times when you feel, when you hope, that there is goodness and perhaps love somewhere in this man.

Livvie has grown in this book. She has feelings for Caleb that have her questioning if she is of sound mind. How could she feel the way she does for Caleb after what he has done to her? After what he was still intending to do to her? He never sugar coated her fate. You will be clenching your heart for Livvie. You can't put yourself in her shoes because you couldn't withstand the heartbreak of being there.

I will tell you now that I cried reading this book more than I have ever cried reading a book before. Whilst this story is at times shocking, it was also so emotional throughout, and catching glimpses of Caleb's past will have you clutching your chest. I defy anyone to read the last chapter of this book without crying.

After finishing this book I sobbed for an hour afterwards and just stared into space. I had to absorb everything I had read and marvel at what an amazing and emotional journey this author had just taken me on.

As I've said, this is by no means an easy read, let's face it, a book about human trafficking and sex slavery was never written with the intention of being an easy read.

However, when you pick this book up (be sure to read Captive in the Dark first!) you will experience, what I can promise you will be an emotional rollercoaster the likes of which you will be hard pressed to beat.

This book will make you angry. It will make you sick. It will make you sad. It will test your resolve. It will make you question your thoughts and your feelings, but I promise you, you will not forget this book. It will stay with you long after the last page, because not only will this book touch your heart, it will touch your soul.

I was a Beta read for this book in July 2012


Pre-order: $6.99
Release day: $9.99


Don't forget to enter the giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment